The Great Backyard Bird Count! February 17-20

Discussion in 'Green Living' started by KatherineA, Jan 5, 2017.

1. KatherineA

KatherineA Fabulous Farmer Administrator Writer

Ratings:
    +1,520
    http://gbbc.birdcount.org/

Yes, yes, yes, I know this is an event. But, I thought it might serve a dual purpose and so decided to post it here too. Maybe it could be something we participate in as a community in our various yards, or meet at the old Shannondale Springs, one of the DNR areas, The Wilderness Center, one of the parks along Bloomery Road, any number of possibilities exist on the Mountain and Beyond

What does this involve? Well, I've tried to post the highlights from the link above.

There is an ebird mobile app available from this outfit to help track bird sightings throughout the year, not just during this challenge.. But I think it would come in mighty handy for the Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC). By the way the GBBC is affiliated with Cornell University.

For the Annual Bird Count - For at least 15 minutes on one or more days of the count, February 17-20, 2017, tally the numbers and kinds of birds you see. You can count from any location, anywhere in the world, and you need not limit your time for 15 minutes. Instead count for as long as you wish!

If you’re new to the count, or have not participated since the before the GBBC mergerd with eBird, for your birds to be counted participants must create a free online account (link) to enter bird sightings. If you already have an account, just use the same login name and password. If you have already participated in another Cornell Lab citizen-science project, you can use your existing login information, too.

Enter your results on the GBBC website by clicking “Submit Observations” on the home page
    . Or download the free eBird Mobile app to enter data on a mobile device. If you already participate in the eBird citizen-science project, please use eBird to submit your sightings during the GBBC. Your checklists will count toward the GBBC.

This link has additional information like instructions on a PDF, links to the eBird app and other apps that work for this event on all kinds of mobile devices. If you like paper, there is a downloadable check sheet to use too. Online bird identification helpers and all kinds of cool stuff.

Whatcha think peeps? We have time to prepare., It can be a solo effort or get a couple friends together, go for a walk, sit on your deck, walk the paths in the FOSS area or the Campfire Girls DNR area.

Here is a photo of a great horned owl to get us inspired.

Great_Horned_Owl_16006_Robert_Strickland_Lecanto_FL2015_500px.jpg

2. Log in or sign up to view 8 replies.