Check out Shepherd University's Lifelong Learning Program

Discussion in 'General chat' started by KatherineA, Mar 1, 2017.

1. KatherineA

KatherineA Fabulous Farmer/Yogi in training Administrator Writer

Ratings:
    +1,617
    I am posting this in General Chat in hopes that more members might see it.

I will try to keep up with the separate events on our events page, but without our Volunteer Events Coordinator, I sometime fail to timely post.

Please note that there are TWO interesting events tonight. My apologies for not notifying everyone sooner.
    However, the events happening later in the month or year are in the Events section as well as here.

UPCOMING SHEPHERD UNIVERSITY

LIFELONG LEARNING PROGRAM EVENTS

TONIGHT!! Wednesday, March 1 - Film Series at the Byrd Center - "Dr. Strangelove" from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. in the Robert C. Byrd Center for Congressional History and Education Auditorium. Stanley Kubrick's class 1964 film was the first commercially successful political satire about nuclear war and Cold War politics. "Dr. Strangelove" touched on rising popular fears about technology and nuclear war in the aftermath of the Cuban missile Crisis and as the arms race between the united States and Soviet Union continued. Free to the public. Contact Jody Brumage to reserve a space at 304-876-5648.

ALSO TONIGHT: Wednesday, March 1 - The Performing Arts Series at Shepherd University and Multicultural Student Affairs present the award-winning play "They Call Me Q" at 7:30 p.m. at Shepherd University's Marinoff Theater. Developed by actress and playwright Qurrat Ann Kadwani, the play speaks to the universal search for identity experienced by immigrants of all nationalities. "They Call Me Q" is the story of a girl from Bombay growing up in the Bronx who seeks balance between cultural pressure and wanting acceptance into American culture. Along the journey, Qurrat Ann Kadwani transforms into 13 characters that have shaped her life including her parents, her teachers, Puerto Rican classmates, and Indian and African-American friends. Kadwani's play ran for seven months off-Broadway and has won a host of awards including Best Play (Maui Fringe), Best Actress Award (VTG Festival), New York State Assemblyman Award, Bronx Borough President Award, Trailblazer Award by SAIPAF, Cultural Award by AAPICC, and Dream Award by SAPNA.
    Tickets are available now at the Bookstore. $10 general public, $5 for Shepherd staff/faculty or senior citizens, and FREE TO SHEPHERD STUDENTS with valid Rambler ID at the Shepherd University Bookstore, 304-876-5219. Tickets will also be available that evening at the Theater.

Lifelong Learning classes begin March 13th. If you haven't registered yet, you can still register for classes. The first Brown Bag Lecture is Wednesday, March 15 - President's, Vice Presidents and First Ladies from Washington to Lincoln at 12:30 - 2:00 p.m. in the Robert C. Byrd Center for Congressional History and Education, Multipurpose Room. Cost is $15; free to members.

Saturday, March 18 - MBA Summit: Re-Inventing West Virginia: Respecting the Heritage and Realizing the Future from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. in Erma Ora Byrd Hall Auditorium. The Summit will address West Virginia's economy as it is impacted by education, technology, energy, tourism, and marketing. Breakfast and Lunch will be served in Storer Ballroom, 3rd Floor of the Student Center. Cost is $39. For more information or to register, visit
    (304) 876-5135
    www.shepherd.edu/lifelonglearning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1