I called the JCSWA today with a question, and the answer I received shocked me.

Discussion in 'General chat' started by LazerFlash, Mar 6, 2017.

1. LazerFlash

LazerFlash VIP

Ratings:
    +71
    The answer was, "Gee, that's a good question. I really don't know the answer."

What was the question that stumped the person at the Jefferson County Solid Waste Authority?

"I have about a half-dozen ionization-type smoke detectors that have reached the end of their suggested life. How do I properly dispose of them?"

For those who don't know, ionization-type smoke detectors - which make up a HUGE portion of the installed base of detectors and have been around for several decades - have a small amount of radioactive material in them. The industry strongly recommends that they be replaced every ten years. It is not recommended to put them in the normal trash or recycle stream.

On the plus side, the person who answered the phone did say that he would check with the County's e-Cycling vendor, and that I should bring them to the Scale House at the Transfer Station. He assured me that they would be handled properly.

But, I have to wonder... Just how many of these have ended up in the ground or elsewhere they don't belong?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Log in or sign up to view 4 replies.