• The View From Lover's Leap

So,
    I finally was able to coordinate with my friend and arrange a visit to the summit of Lover's Leap. The view was simply breathtaking. The first two images show the panorama of the north side of the horseshoe. The top image of the first set was taken ca 1903 for a brochure promoting the second incarnation of the springs. The bottom was taken earlier this evening. They match up pretty well.
    As usual click the pics for a larger view.

The top image of the second set was the Burton engraving ca 1830. The bottom show what I believe to be the beach area. the rock formation juts out to the edge of the precipice where the legendary Indian Princess leapt to her death.

The lower images don't match as well, but we suspected that Mr. Burton used some artistic license in his sketch.

I hope to get better images now that I know the lay of the land and have made arrangements for a return visit to what is arguably one of the most stunning views in the county.

This article was originally published in forum thread: The View From Lover's Leap started by Willis View original post
    Comments 4 Comments
      nelliesvt -
      Considering I won the book at one of the picnics and it is sitting right next to me I really should read it! I started it 4 years ago and read about the first 20 pages - can't remember why I stopped??? Oh I remember . . . working too much! You have peaked my interest Willis!
      ZooKeeper -
      Can anyone tell me where lover's leap is? I'm assuming this is a different location than the overlook on Rt. 9, though they look somewhat similar.
      chipgallo -
      It is along the Shenandoah River across from Shannondale Springs. I have a February 2005 photo here (not as dramatic as the view from LL though):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chipgal.../in/set-122775
      Willis -
      Quote Originally Posted by ZooKeeper View Post
      Can anyone tell me where lover's leap is? I'm assuming this is a different location than the overlook on Rt. 9, though they look somewhat similar.
      TMI=Sinuosity
      Our beautiful Shenandoah river is renown for its twists and turns. And toward both the east and west, you can see many similar views. Tho Lover's Leap is on private property, it can be viewed from below as Chip has captured digitally from the former beach area of the Shannondale Springs historic area seen here ca 1895:

In our virtual tour of the area.

At one time you could enjoy one of the similar views from the now abandoned Scenic Overlook on Rt9 just west of Keyes Gap HERE and in the image below from 1978

Yep, definitely TMI
3V-Training