• Rufi the Ruby Throated Hummingbird's Tale

A poignant tale. I'll relate it primarily in photos
    Rufi, The Ruby Throated Hummingbird

One of our website's members, "9933", came upon a Hummer Tuesday morning, April 24, 2012. This elegant bird had apparently recently flown into a window.

The little fellow was barely alive. The situation was aggravated by unseasonably cold weather, a frost, this late in April

Our only species of Hummingbird in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, the Hummer had traveled up to 2000 miles just a few days or weeks earlier

Our heroine, 9933, christened the little Hummer, Rufi. Why? You'll have to ask her

After getting him onto her deck, she offered Rufi food, first at the feeder, which he declined, and then in a plastic container

On the deck Rufi refused to budge

But he seemed eager to meet new friends

No amount of coaxing could convince Rufi to take flight

It's easy to see why we love our Ruby Throated Hummers

Rufi seemed to be making steady progress, drinking nectar from his bowl and surveying the wild blue yonder

With the Sun getting lower in the sky, 9933 brought Rufi inside continuing to feed him and prepared to call the Blue Ridge Wildlife Center in the morning if the little guy hadn't recovered enough to be on his way

Our Hero, Rufi

I said not to expect a happy story. 9933 continued to feed Rufi thru the night, but at 5:00AM he flew over the Rainbow Bridge.

RUFI

Comments 5 Comments
      STR1KER -
      Thank you for making this little feathered friend's last hours loving and caring
      LFE -
      I have seen them fly away after warming them up so its always worth a try...
      cindylu -
      Oh I KNEW this wouldn't have a happy ending
      rooneymom -
      Sweet story. Thank you 9933 for your kindness and efforts
      ministerswife -
      "...What fell was relaxed, Owl-downy, soft feminine feathers; but what Soared..." (Jeffers, "Hurt Hawks")

The courageous heart of a hawk on the wings of a butterfly soared over the rainbow that morning and took with it the memory of loving kindness of people like 9933. These are the things that make rainbows glow. Thank you 9933.