The following material was originally contained in the Jefferson County School News Vol. 2, No. 8 dated May 1976 and graciously provided by its Editor, Mary Stocks.
In 1976 Jefferson County School News was a monthly publication sponsored by the Board of Education as a public service to Jefferson County residents.
Superintendent - Harold L. Pickens
President of the Board - Richard Neal
Editor - Mary Stocks
Special thanks are due to the following people who so willingly supplied information to the editor of this paper for this special publication:
Miss Gladys Hartzell, Mrs. Mary Baum, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Rissler, Mr. Mayo Snyder, Mr. Charles Reinhart, Mrs. Augusta Phillips, Mr. Franklin McQuilkin, Miss Helen Goldsborough, Mr. Joe Walper Mr. Oscar Jones, Mrs. Mary Donley Reinhart, Miss Mildred Conard, Rev. Lester Link, Mr. Kerfoot Moler, Mrs. Adora Payne, Mrs. J. W. Link, Mrs. Elsie Garrett, Mrs. Robert Knott, Mr. Thomas Turner, Mrs. Marion Creamer, Mr. Arthur Prather, Mrs. Robert Knott, Mr. B. M. Dennis, Mrs. Mary Ennis, Mr. Jesse Engle.
Jefferson County Public Schools
Shepherdstown District School History
Two residents of Shepherdstown, Arthur Prather and Gladys Hartzell, are pictured at the stone foundation which is all that remains of Potomac School, probably built in 1847. The foundation is directly behind the Carolyn Apartments. When Jefferson County voters on June 3, 1847, (see SCHOOL NEWS "Looking Back," January, 1975) voted to establish a free public school system, Shepherdstown was divided into two school districts. The western part of town was the Potomac District while the eastern part was the Shepherd District, and each district was responsible for maintaining a schoolhouse.
According to Musser's HISTORY OF SHEPHERDSTOWN, a lot was purchased that same year at the extreme west end of Washington Street for the erection of a school building for the Potomac District. It was a one-room brick building and was called Potomac School.
The school stood 200 feet north of the entrance of Leeland, now the home of Miss Helen Goldsborough whose grandmother attended Potomac School.
The Shepherd District purchased a lot