Thread: Antique meat grinder

Thanks

Default Antique meat grinder

A friend gave me an antique meat grinder several years ago. It's a Russwin No.1 made by Russell and Erwin Mfg. Co. in New Britain, Ct. Patent issued in 1899. My Mom's old grinder finally gave up the ghost and I want to send her mine. My question is how to clean it! It has a bit of rust on it and on the 4 grinding discs and doesn't turn too smoothly. I would like to send it to her nice and clean and ready to use. Not sure what it's made of, cast iron? Painted silver. Natural wood handle. Thanks in advance! Penny

2. Mountain Lake Club
    Thanks

If it's really cast iron and it's been painted I'd remove any paint from the working surfaces. Steel wool the rust off and sterilize it with bleach and hot water and coat it with a lite coating of cooking oil to keep it from rusting again. Wash the cooking oil off before use as it could go rancid. That's what we used to do with ours until I bought a modern electric one.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Holy Mackere
    I hope you don't mean it looks similar to one of these:

Sheesh, if you do, I still use mine which I inherited from my Mom. Golly-I guess I'm close to an antique too. I've just wash mine in soapy water. I've always assumed it was cast iron-it's heavy enough to be. As BT suggests, you can use some vegetable oil to keep it from rusting. Mine never has shown any oxidation. There's a good link HERE on cleaning manual meat grinders.
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Willis For This Useful Post:

PhoenixOrion (11-13-2011)

Thanks

Don't believe they're "antique"---unless you've never heard that people would grind their own meat. My mom has the same model. Good for small batches.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cindylu For This Useful Post:

PhoenixOrion (11-13-2011)

Thanks

they still sell them i still use mine

Thanks

My Mom's is 75yo and mine could be older. I guess that makes them antique.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigTom View Post
    If it's really cast iron and it's been painted I'd remove any paint from the working surfaces. Steel wool the rust off and sterilize it with bleach and hot water and coat it with a lite coating of cooking oil to keep it from rusting again. Wash the cooking oil off before use as it could go rancid. That's what we used to do with ours until I bought a modern electric one.
    On further examination, the whole thing is kind of pewtery looking inside and out, not paint. It's wicked heavy so cast iron?

Thanks

In that case rust is not likely a problem on anything except the working parts, they're probably carbon steel and will rust. Just treat them as we discussed earlier and you should be fine.

Thanks

Probably not antique. My dad has one he uses for venison and just cleans it with lemon, baking soda and vinegar in water (this is of course, after washing it following every use).
    “Why do people say 'grow some balls?' Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ~ Betty White