Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So what are you reading?

Thanks

For some unknown reason, this summer, I'm going back to the classics. Now that I just finished Wuthering Heights and Great Expectations--you know, make new friends but keep the old…—I’ll probably look for something more updated; well, maybe. Presently, Victor Hugo is haunting me, or maybe Herman Melville, or maybe someone light like Rex Stout.
    "Set me free" "There are two freedoms: The false where a man is free to do what he likes; and the true where a man is free to do what he ought." -Charles Kingsley

2. Mountain Lake Club
    Thanks

Now, I'm listening to 14 by Peter Clines. I bought it on a whim while browsing Audible and am so glad I did. Creepy old building in LA, an interesting group of people and a weird mystery.
    my cat's breath smells like cat food.

Thanks

Just finished Once Upon a River and couldn't put it down. I had to see what would happen next! It's a story about a teenage girl that grew up on a river and endures lots of tragedy, but uses her shooting skills and pioneer knowledge to survive.

Thanks

About 30 pages from the end of the final book in the "Legacy of the Force" nonalogy. After almost four thousand pages of Jedi, Sith, Imperials, Hapans, Mandalorians, Solos, Fetts and Skywalkers... I'm ready for something else. Perhaps I'll catch up with Harlan Coben or read the latest book by the best two three-time Edgar Award winning author no one knows about: T. Jefferson Parker
    Last edited by LazerFlash; 09-01-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: He's won another Edgar since I last bragged about him.

Thanks

I just started reading Paterno, a brand new book by Joe Posnanski. Chronicles his early life in Brooklyn: Latin scholar, quarterback, captain of the basketball team, president of student council, Korean War vet...........

Thanks

Just today finished "Bad Faith", the latest novel in the Butch Karp series by Robert K. Tanenbaum. This one was not his best, but it did tie up a couple of loose ends left from the last one, and set up things for the next one. I wish he would go back to what made his books cool to read: He would have several different - apparently disparate - plots going on at the same time, and would amazingly tie them all together in the next-to-last chapter. He still has several things going on at once, but they either don't connect to each other or it's pretty obvious how they fit together. Also, 9/11 seems to have affected him in that his last five books - or the protagonists in them - involved terrorism or terrorists or mass destruction of some kind.

Not sure what I'll pick up next... I'm leaning towards clearing the backlog of Harlan Coben novels on my TBR shelves.

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Faith-Butc...CSY/ref=sr_1_1

Thanks

Rereading The Hobbit by Tolkien for the upcoming movie. Then maybe No Easy Day about the killing of Bin Laden.

Thanks

"Deadlocked", book 12 of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris... Been a fan since book 1, although I can't stand HBO's "True Blood", which is (allegedly) based on the books. (I wish she would do a spin-off, or at least a novella or short story, using Bubba as the focus.)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LazerFlash View Post
    I can't stand HBO's "True Blood", which is (allegedly) based on the books.
    From what I've read, these things are done with the complete cooperation with the authors. Not just True Blood, but Game of Thrones also. They pay the authors quite a bit and give them free rein to re-imagine the books the way they might write them today. Authors are creative, so it's unlikely they would write the story the exact same way. And once they make one little change - say, a character living/dying, then the entire story line becomes different for the remainder of the series.

I don't see this as a Bad Thing. It actually allows one to read the books long before the TV series is filmed, but the entire story isn't spoiled. It's a different story.

Thanks

Charlaine Harris signed my book at the Book Fest in DC in September. I haven't read the Sookie Stackhouse series yet, but love the other 2 and her very first book.

Thanks

Now reading Marker by Robin Cook. Makes you wanna stay clear of hospitals.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,746 Times in 1,801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Tom Trumble's "Time To Go Home"

I just finished Tom Trumble's
    Time To Go Home

Never heard of it? Well, it's hot of the press. Tom is a Jefferson County resident (Warm Springs Rd near Shenandoah Junction). The book is a fictionalized memoir of his tour of duty in Viet Nam. I highly recommend it. While I didn't get to 'nam during my stint in the service, I heard many stories from those who did. Tom's account ranks with the very best. I may be biased, having made Tom's acquaintance as a fellow member of the Board of Health. Nevertheless, I stand by my glowing review of his book.

Sadly, I was unable to attend the play based on the book which had a short debut at the Shepherdstown Opera House last month:
    Speak the Word Only

Friday, 10/19, 8 pm

Saturday, 10/20 8 pm

Sunday, 10/21, 2pm

General Admission -$15
    Seniors - $10
    Students - $5

This is a story of Viet Nam. Of soldiers telling war stories, some of them
    mostly true, others maybe not. But that's what soldiers do, we tell
    stories, using rough words that speak of sex and ways to die.
    Drinking cognac and Coke to refresh our memories and loosen our tongues.
    We talked about what was good and what was bad and what just needed
    to be forgotten. And we talked about our friends. The best friends
    we'd ever have.

I note the book is out of print momentarily at AmazonThe book IS now available on Amazon.
    Last edited by Willis; 11-02-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: edit availability
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

Thanks

About a 100 pages into Ben Bova's scifi novel, "Saturn".

From Publisher's Weekly:
    "Ten thousand intellectuals and scientists, mostly people who don't agree with the authoritarian regimes controlled by the religious fundamentalists who've taken over Earth's governments, have volunteered, been asked or been forced to leave on the long one-way journey. Among them are Malcolm Eberly, recruited by the Holy Disciples from a prison in Vienna with strict instructions to ensure the population chooses the path of righteousness. Eberly agrees to his covert task, confident he can impose his own rule, but he finds that gaining control is harder than he thought. Holy Disciple spies continually get in his way, while one of his subordinates murders for a promotion. Blackmail, subterfuge and another planned murder pile on top of Eberly's machinations to rig an election."

Thanks

Reading Napalm and Silly Putty by the late, great George Carlin. Taking a break between the deep stuff.

"No bastard ever won a War by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."
    --- George S. Patton

Thanks

Just about done with Carlin's book. Now I'm going to choose one of the five from this list http://www.theonion.com/articles/top...10-2012,30675/ Tough choices.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 680 Posts

I'm reading the book I won by one of those contest Willis host here... George Carlin's Braindroppings :-)

Today I also read some great material on zOS Sysplex connectivity and networking test equipment from Core Technologies however that stuff might not interest to many forum readers...

Thanks

LFE and ClearThunder: Have you read Carlin's "sortabiography", Last Words? If not, I highly recommend it! I've been a Carlin for my entire adult life, and I learned things about him that I never knew before.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LazerFlash For This Useful Post:

Willis (12-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,746 Times in 1,801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Books

I think I'll be buying that book and after reading it, there may be another prize in the S&B contest treasure chest of prizes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 680 Posts

I've got most, if not all of his LP's :-)

Thanks

I still have a vinyl copy of Take Off's and Put On's ---- classic stuff featuring, among other great bits, Al Sleet, the Hippy Dippy Weatherman. "If you don't like the weather ....... Move."