Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: So what are you reading?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LazerFlash View Post
    I've been on a Star Wars jag of late... Midway through the loose 'group' of Clone Commando/Imperial Commando novels.
    Ahhh!!!! A fellow Star Wars fan! I went through most of the books in the Expanded Universe, but the "New Jedi Order" followed by the "Legacy of the Force" series kind of burned me out. I think I read one or two stand-alones after that. When I heard that they were making another round of movies, I hoped that they would base it on the Zahn Thrawn Trilogy, but I suppose that was too much to hope for.

Now I am reading the Dune series (on Book 4), but the further I go, the harder it is to finish. I had the same problem with "Atlas Shrugged".

Old Man Dave

2. Mountain Lake Club
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,733 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldmandave View Post
    Now I am reading the Dune series (on Book 4), but the further I go, the harder it is to finish.
    After the original the next couple went downhill and I lost interest
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

Thanks

The Grapes of Wrath
    You hang out in the barber shop long enough, you're gonna get your hair cut.

Thanks

Just finished Bruce Catton's three-volume history of the Army of the Potomac.
    Mr. Lincoln's Army
    Glory Road
    A Stillness at Appomattox

Catton was a newspaperman, not an academic historian (though a scrupulous historian). His narrative is full of what would probably today be condemned as run-on sentences, but they make the writing sound like reminiscences, and therefore all the more moving.

Thanks

Currently in "Choices of One" by Timothy Zahn. Thinking about heading in a different direction (at least for me) by reading the trilogy of books based upon Rashi's daughters. For those unclear, Rashi was one of the greatest medeival Talmudic scholars. Rashi had no sons, only three daughters. These remarkable women married three of their father’s finest students and were the mothers of the leaders of the next generation of French Talmudic scholars.

Rashi's Daughters

Thanks
    Thanked 3,733 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lee Child's Jack Reacher series

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I just finished iWoz (http://www.amazon.com/Iwoz-Invented-.../dp/140015328X), the autobiography of Steve Wozniak, one of the three co-founders of Apple Computer. Much more interesting than the Steve Jobs biography, at least to a tech like myself.

Just started on the free ebook What the Plus! by Guy Kawasaki. An attempt to explain Google+ to everyone. If you didn't already know, Google+ is a sort of an adult version of Facebook. At first it was easy to ignore it completely, but nowadays it seems to be generating a lot of interest. Among the over-18 crowd anyway. https://plus.google.com/+GuyKawasaki/posts/YCeBKxAaBuu
    https://ssl.gstatic.com/s2/oz/content/WhatThePlus.pdf

Thanks

I just finished War Brides. I really liked it until then end which totally took me out of the story.
    my cat's breath smells like cat food.

Thanks

Green Eggs and Ham

Seriously though, I lent my copy to someone.
    I am reading Book 5 of the Dune series and Book 1 of the Ellenium series.

Thanks

Anyone like Thomas Pynchon? The Crying of Lot 49 is one of my favorites. His new book Bleeding Edge came out yesterday. I'm excited to get a copy.

Thanks

After reading the following synopsis, I'm actually somewhat intrigued. I'm certainly not looking to add another prolific author to my list, but I might just have to consider a foray into Mr. Pynchon's work.

Bleeding Edge
    Author:
    Thomas Pynchon

Thomas Pynchon brings us to New York in the early days of the internet — It is 2001 in New York City, in the lull between the collapse of the dot-com boom and the terrible events of September 11th. Silicon Alley is a ghost town, Web 1.0 is having adolescent angst, Google has yet to IPO, Microsoft is still considered the Evil Empire. There may not be quite as much money around as there was at the height of the tech bubble, but there?s no shortage of swindlers looking to grab a piece of what?s left.

Maxine Tarnow is running a nice little fraud investigation business on the Upper West Side, chasing down different kinds of small-scale con artists. She used to be legally certified but her license got pulled a while back, which has actually turned out to be a blessing because now she can follow her own code of ethics—carry a Beretta, do business with sleazebags, hack into people?s bank accounts—without having too much guilt about any of it. Otherwise, just your average working mom—two boys in elementary school, an off-and-on situation with her sort of semi-ex-husband Horst, life as normal as it ever gets in the neighborhood—till Maxine starts looking into the finances of a computer-security firm and its billionaire geek CEO, whereupon things begin rapidly to jam onto the subway and head downtown. She soon finds herself mixed up with a drug runner in an art deco motorboat, a professional nose obsessed with Hitler?s aftershave, a neoliberal enforcer with footwear issues, plus elements of the Russian mob and various bloggers, hackers, code monkeys, and entrepreneurs, some of whom begin to show up mysteriously dead. Foul play, of course.

With occasional excursions into the DeepWeb and out to Long Island, Thomas Pynchon, channeling his inner Jewish mother, brings us a historical romance of New York in the early days of the internet, not that distant in calendar time but galactically remote from where we?ve journeyed to since.

Will perpetrators be revealed, forget about brought to justice? Will Maxine have to take the handgun out of her purse? Will she and Horst get back together? Will Jerry Seinfeld make an unscheduled guest appearance? Will accounts secular and karmic be brought into balance?

Hey. Who wants to know?

Thanks