Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Violence in Colorado - another incident

Thanks

Default Violence in Colorado - another incident

The most recent killing in Colorado reflects the U.S. culture's addiction and tolerance to violence in our mass media. I have not had a televsion for over 25 years and am very disturbed by the level of violence I am exposed to in the very carefully selected theater experience i expose myself. We are providing the idea, blueprint, and means for the socially, mentally, emotionally disenfancished to make everyone feel insecure in even their homes, let alone a home town theather, mall, school, . . . how very very very sad. I beleive the solution is human kindness: smile, wave, few words of encourgement, volunteer with the youth, it begins by ending the violence within ourselves. Be kind to yourself and widen the circle from there.

2. Mountain Lake Club
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dhyana For This Useful Post:

Chutney Daftcraft (07-23-2012)

Thanks

Perhaps if the pussies in Colorado would lighten then their tight gun control laws to allow common everyday citizens to carry weapons and defend themselves then less people would have been killed or injured in that theater. Hindsight is always 20/20 and we have yet to know what the young mans motive was for his actions, but one thing is sure. An armed society is a polite society and considering the fact that criminals are not exactly known for following the laws set forth to govern the rest of society why would we expect them to adhere to stricter gun control policies?
    "BRIAN, Close the window! You're letting all the Stank out...." "Ahh, ahh, ahh and boom goes the dynamite."

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS(It's not nice to pick on retards.)

01/20/2013

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derricksonb For This Useful Post:

BigTom (07-27-2012), Steveo (07-27-2012)

Thanks

I think we need a longer (one-year) mandatory wait period for unmarried disengaged from society males and to halt all internet sales of semi-automatic ... wait, I'm starting to sound like a demo-puss!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by derricksonb View Post
    Perhaps if the pussies in Colorado would lighten then their tight gun control laws to allow common everyday citizens to carry weapons and defend themselves then less people would have been killed or injured in that theater.
    On this evenings Dateline they showed it takes only driver's license and a 30-min background check to get the type of arms this guy purchased. I was surprised how quickly/easily it is to get any type of gun and yet no one in the theater had a gun on them to return any shots.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Much as modern media TV and film would have you believe armed citizens are the way to go, this scenario (crowded theaters) with armed LE a minute or two out seems like a recipe for disaster. The killer was suited up with body protection and had prepped the scene with gas. I am interested in how someone this crazy made it through an advanced education without being tagged for therapy and medication. Even with no firearms, a wack job with internet can cook up something just as lethal. We need to do better at bagging these folks earlier.
    *** Video Page at http://vimeo.com/chipgallo ***

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Good point. With his scientific know-how, he could have had a much larger impact, and no amount of armed citizenry could have done anything about it. Tim McVeigh wasn't particularly smart, and look at his head count.

It's almost a shame these perps aren't middle east muslims; at least that might justify the recent years of government oppression via ICE, Homeland Security, TSA, etc. Not to mention then we could all rest easy thinking it couldn't happen to us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chipgallo View Post
    Much as modern media TV and film would have you believe armed citizens are the way to go, this scenario (crowded theaters) with armed LE a minute or two out seems like a recipe for disaster. The killer was suited up with body protection and had prepped the scene with gas....
    Suiting up with body armor is great, but.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to derricksonb For This Useful Post:

StickonFreeze (07-23-2012)

Thanks

It is not about gun laws. One can be killed by bare hands, a ball point pen, a hammer, chain saw, knife, automobile, liquor, etc, etc, etc. At what point did humanity find violence entertainment? Or when will we stop? Is this fascination as indicative by the hordes of movies, games, etc an expression or attraction to evil? I consider them so. My brother is mentally ill, he has never hurt anyone or broken any laws. He lives alone is a very modest government supported apartment and through the amazing grace of my parent's compassion. He totally avoids: television, radio, news papers, and of course movies, because of his sensitivities (lack of control?) he can't rise above the negative messages. Yes, we all choose for ourselves, but what many are commercializing are is nothing but senseless, useless, fear and as evident we all can see it is really really disturbing particularly vulnerable individuals, putting us all in danger. Love, Serve, and Remember. Support positivism, what you choose makes a difference. Om tat sat.

Thanks

I think humans have always been drawn toward violence. I believe it to be human nature especially among the males of our species. We are after all primates and as with most species of primate we are not above acting out violently. A society does it's best to supress these violent tendencies, but you see them best when society breaks down and people revert to thier base instincts and emotions. Although firearms certainly make commiting acts of violence easier, people will always find another way to harm each other.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JediKnight For This Useful Post:

charliepff (07-23-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't think that this has anything much to do with violence on TV or anywhere else. The guy is obviously mentally ill and probably is paranoid schizophrenic that just began manifesting severe symptoms. He seems about the right age for the onset, he was brilliant and a top student, then suddenly completely changed.
    I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights. "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss

Thanks

One, while a check is only 30minutes, it is a FEDERAL background check. It is recorded. The dealer keeps a log of these checks and they get sent to the ATF and kept as records. The dealer has the right to not sell the weapon if the person seems "mentally ill" along with other reasons. Which would inclide 3/4's of america at this point. The interviews with the mother proved she had an idea stuff was not right with her son. She could have stepped up and said something.

As far as how he did it, he could have used anything. He could have made his own bomb or something such as ricen. There was a group of students in Japan or China killed because a guy went into the classroom and stabbed them all. The weapon used is not the issue. Search how many times a year a police officer either shoots the wrong person or has a negligent discharge. I think you would be surprised to see the results.

Last but not least, the media is everywhere anymore. That is why you hear so much violence on radio and tv. They are everywhere and violence is what they prey on. It makes great news for them. 15 years ago you would not see the amount of violence or the locations you see now on the news. Just my take.

I had the priveledge of listening to the Police and Fire dispatch for this incident. The police never actually were able to enter the theater due to the gas the suspect used. They did not catch the suspect until he came out of the east entrance. While the police response was fast, they did not have the proper equipment to get in right away. While they were waiting for the equipment they could still hear shooting. Also note, the theater had no firearms aloud signs posted and did not have armed security.
    Last edited by charliepff; 07-23-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: addition

Thanks

Something else I've been hearing, Colorado police believe he was not a "lone wolf". There is someone else out there who was a part of this.

Thanks

I just seen they are looking for a person of interest. I would like to hear what the suspect has said to the police so far.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

According to this morning's news he isn't talking and hasn't said much.

They haven't been able to dig up anyone that claims to have known him personally, but there's an interesting story about him being rejected at a local gun club last month.

Thanks

Good find Tony. I wish they would have released his message. The mother also seemed to have an idea that he was off kilter. Not sure why no one said anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 682 Posts

They showed him on the news today... looked like he was falling asleep during his 1st<?> appearance in court<?>.

Its got to be hard to look at your child and think he/she is going to, or is about to snap.
    Think about people with deppression. Everyone has to know someone that suffers from it (look in the mirror if you answered no), however how do you know when that person has really hit the limit and is about to do something stupid?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LFE For This Useful Post:

KatherineA (07-24-2012)

Thanks

I agree with you on that LFE. I just had an encounter with a person that had "Issues" not to long ago. Seeking advice from people with knowledge of this persons conditions, research, and other things helped stabilize the situation. Not sure if it will stay that way and there is now way to know when or if the person is going to snap. This last encounter was the worst I have ever experienced.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I see the OP's point that our society has been so over exposed to violence that it leaves us insensitive to it. But while I tend to disagree, I do think that every time someone is shot on TV they should have to spend at least an hour delineating the myriad consequences. And they should always show all the gore and how hard it really is to clean up. Instead, a quick shot and a guy goes down quietly without even a drop of blood and the story moves on to some other point within seconds, never addressing the violence.

I won't believe it's our society that is corrupt or more violent than others in history. Stalin, Pol Pot, Kim Il Sung etc. have killed millions of people with virtually no violence at all.

Thanks

The police should have shot him on site period! legs and face are open to destruction!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

We *have* been too over-exposed to it. Just look at this satire piece about it. Sadly, this satire is interestingly close to reality:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sad...ootings,28857/
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensey View Post
    Life's rough. Buy a helmet."