Thread: 9/8/12 Early Morning... The Loss of a Very Dear Friend...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default 9/8/12 Early Morning... The Loss of a Very Dear Friend...

This morning, as I was sitting on my porch, having my coffee, I heard a ton of sirens. I turned on the scanner, to hear of an MVA near Mission Ridge.
    I was told by a good friend to pray for the individual, as it was a really bad situation, but I was not given a name; only that the patient was in extremely bad shape. Life Flight was not an option, and the patient was transported to J.M.H.

My parents came to my house after 5pm Mass this evening. My mom was in tears. We lost a very dear life-long (for me, anyway), friend this morning, some of you might remember him as our valiant mail-man of many years. He was on point with EVERYTHING, an incredible father, and beyond dedicated husband. Though he chose to live on the mountain, his wife lived in down town Harper's Ferry proper.

This morning, we lost Mr. Frank Cummings. This gentleman was the epitome of class. He was a fountain of knowledge about Nature, the woodlands, the forest animals, he had his own natural preserve just on the opposite side of Mission Tabernacle Church, w/ a cabin home he built with his own 2 hands. He had 3 lakes, all stocked with catfish. Mom, Dad, David and I would always go and visit with him, spending evenings into the late nights just talking about everything under the sun, esp around his pot-belly stove on the cold nights.

He had an awesome mule named, Jesse. We would spend our time feeding and catch / releasing his catfish. We would take long walks around his property, as he taught our family about mountain life. He was the one that gave my brother and me legitimate cherry switches for Christmas. This was great for when we would get into trouble.... He made sure NOT to tell us about picking the thinnest one, because it "wouldn't hurt", and made sure our parents knew the secret.
    He introduced my Mom to canoeing. She loved those trips. She still brings them up whenever I go kayaking, and he even forgave her when she accidentally dropped his camera into the Shenandoah, (DOH!)

He admired everything in and about Nature. He was more than just a "mail-man". He took the time to talk to everyone about everything at the (now Gate 3) mail shed. He wasn't a fan of the cluster boxes, but he knew they were on the way. He finally retired to his mountain cabin, going back and forth to spend time w/ his wife, Jane. He and Jane have 3 boys, all grown now. His son John just happens to be in town visiting at this time. I'm sure this wasn't what was on the itinerary.

For the past several months, Frank had been going back and forth between his home, and the care facility where his wife Jane currently resides. She isn't in the greatest shape, but she knows he's there.

Losing someone is never, EVER easy. However, everything happens for a reason. Of course we are sad when people have to leave us. Given Jane's current situation, and knowing Frank's undying love for her, he was here for her in this lifetime. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this happened so he can be there to greet her when it's her time. I tried to explain this to my Mom this evening. It is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Congratulations, Frank. You've graduated to the next level. You've helped to instill many things in my life. You have given me many fond memories. I can still pick out the smell of Indian Pipe in the woods without fail. I still know how to keep soda and/or beer cold on a hot summer day by putting it into a cold running stream. I know how to catch a catfish w/ the best of 'em, and I know never EVER take Mother Nature for granted.

I'm glad you'll be there to welcome your loving wife when she also graduates. See you on the other side, Old Friend
    Please keep Jane and his sons in your prayers, as they will be giving Jane the news tomorrow, 9/9/12/

*Edited for final thought*
    As I sit and think of it all, he also passed right where he was supposed to - on the mountain he adored, right up from the river he loved...
    Last edited by STR1KER; 09-08-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    "Trust your instincts * Be at home in Nature * Keep your Den clean * Stand fur what you Believe * Stay on Track * Howl with your Friends * Be a Leader * Pack Life with Good Memories!"
    http://www.STR1KER.com
    http://www.Facebook.com/str1ker
    http://www.CygnusRadio.com (Tues. 6-8pm)
    http://www.RockNetWebzine.com (Fri.. 7-11pm)

2. Bloomery Plantation Distillery
  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to STR1KER For This Useful Post:

cbuck725wv (09-09-2012), charliepff (09-09-2012), LFE (09-09-2012), MoeMoe (09-09-2012), rooneymom (09-09-2012), spazkatz (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,546 Times in 1,719 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sad News. I have fond memories of Frank, his ponds, his bamboo garden and most of all his role as the rural mail carrier for Rt2 Harpers Ferry
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

Thanks

Striker, what great memories you have of him. You and your family were very lucky to know such a wonderful person.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful person.
    I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights. "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Blog Entries

We still have some of his bamboo growin' along the side lot

Thanks

Our condolences to you and his family. May he rest in peace. You know our hearts are with all.
    "Set me free" "There are two freedoms: The false where a man is free to do what he likes; and the true where a man is free to do what he ought." -Charles Kingsley

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States, 107812615908638, Greensboro, North Carolina
    Thanks

I am very sorry and just curious, before the mailsheds, was mail delivered to each home?
    MoeMoe

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No, MoeMoe. Before the cluster boxes were installed, there was a wall of blue boxes, (similar to the clusters). You had to open each individual box from the back room, and insert the mail, then lock them back up. The amount of boxes were similar to what is there now. There has never been direct receipt of mail in Shannondale.

One thing I also learned from my mom yesterday, was that there was also a daughter, Nancy. I don't remember her. But apparently, she too is the Bomb Diggity!
    Thanks for all of your responses They mean the world! <3

Thanks
    Blog Entries

12. The Following User Says Thank You to STR1KER For This Useful Post:

LFE (09-17-2012)