Thread: Food Riots coming soon

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Food Riots coming soon

At least one predictive model says that within a year we should begin seeing global rioting over increasing food prices. This can't be good news for America. Especially since with the climate heating up so much and the less frequent rain we've been experiencing for years. From what I hear, there's nothing quite like a food riot - once a person and their family has nothing to eat they have nothing to lose.

“Recent droughts in the mid-western United States threaten to cause global catastrophe,” Yaneer Bar-Yam, one of the authors of the report, recently told Al Jazeera. “When people are unable to feed themselves and their families, widespread social disruption occurs. We are on the verge of another crisis...
    http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/9/1...-theorists-say

But I dunno. I am unable to turn up any kind of historical reference to "food riots". Wikipedia has been updated with the above study, but offers no historical perspective.

2. Mountain Lake Club
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Try "Malthus food riots" as a search term.
    *** Video Page at http://vimeo.com/chipgallo ***

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Haiti food riots
    "Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.."- Benjamin Franklin..American Statesman..1880

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I can't find very much on Malthus via Google; mostly just scholarly work. The Haiti riots mention 4 people dead, but that hardly seems Major News. I mean, Stalin is said to have starved between 7 and 11 million people to death, so I would expect the major stories to center around that in the 20th century. But there don't seem to be any. Sort of puzzling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 675 Posts

Water wars might become more of a factor...

Blue Gold : World Water Wars

www.bluegold-worldwaterwars.com/
    'Wars of the future will be fought over water, as they are over oil today, as our Blue Gold, the source of human survival, enters the global marketplace and ...

California Water Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Water_Wars
    The Los Angeles Aqueduct in the Owens Valley. The California Water Wars were a series of conflicts between the city of Los Angeles, farmers and ranchers in ...

Amazon.com: Water Wars: Privatization, Pollution, and Profit ...

www.amazon.com › ... › EconomicsEnvironmental Economics
    Water Wars: Privatization,Pollution,and Profit [Vandana Shiva] on Amazon.com. *FREE* super saver shipping on qualifying offers. While draught and ...