Thread: Girl Scout Trip to the Springs

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Girl Scout Trip to the Springs

Our Girl Scout/Brownie troop (40700) hiked back to the beach and spring house today. The views were lovely, and the girls had a wonderful hike! Plenty of walnuts, hedge apples, and fuzzy bear caterpillars to look at.

Thanks to Shadowplay for making sure the trail is mowed and maintained, and everyone else who has taken the time to clean the trail. We encountered a couple of other hiking groups on our hike. It's encouraging to see others are taking an interest in the area.
    Have you ever noticed that those who advocate the hardest for personal responsibility never seem to take any when they cause their own negative situations?

2. Bloomery Plantation Distillery
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck For This Useful Post:

LFE (10-13-2012), shadowplay (10-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries

Great to hear the young ladies had a splendid time, Starbuck. And I'll echo the plaudits you given to shadowplay.
    Keep in mind that if there's enough interest, I'm available to give a guided tour w/ a history lesson of the once grand resort.
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

Thanks

Although its still a nice area to hike around in, its a shame that the gazebo with fireplace got so trashed back in the old girl camp area.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LFE View Post
    Although its still a nice area to hike around in, its a shame that the gazebo with fireplace got so trashed back in the old girl camp area.
    I suppose the topic is actually the lower river area, but I too feel all the areas are equally important, so are valid for discussion.

So WHAT THE HECK are you talking about a 'gazebo with fireplace'? I've never seen anything like that back at Takahano. Do you have pictures?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So WHAT THE HECK are you talking about a 'gazebo with fireplace'? I've never seen anything like that back at Takahano. Do you have pictures?
    No pics of that on this machine... however for those with real interest:
    - Park at JBF road parking area off Mission Rd kitty corner across from the park.
    - Hike thru very pretty ducks unlimited area
    - Go to the right at outhouses if they are still there
    - By spring pond from old burned down house follow trail that branches off to the left
    - Open building with fireplace that had end support poles ripped out will be up on your right.

- Watch out for arrows and gun fire no matter what time of day or year it is (heard what sounded like someone sighting in a rifle back there last Sun for instance.... and yes, I understand how gun fire echos).

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh, you're talking about the old pavilion. I suppose by the broadest definition it could be called a 'gazebo', but I tend to think of small one-room affairs as 'gazebos'. Not sure if that's the common perception.

The road leading up to it is getting so bad it may not be worth the effort any longer.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It is a terrible shame that the Pavilion or whatever you call it has been completely trashed by the miscreants who frequent that area. It was a really cool place. I remember I was so excited to find such a nice picnic spot way back in the woods then the next time we hiked there it was completely messed up. It is really sad that a few morons in this area with no respect for other people's or community property trash it for the majority.
    I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights. "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I won't defend vandalism, but on the other hand the place has been abandoned for years and surely was never to be reused, so I can't get too upset about it's slow destruction. Let's face it, if a new crew Like Ryan Homes moved in one of the first things they would do is demolish the thing anyway.

What actually bothers me more is that there must have been a lot of pictures taken there with lots of kids, and now all of them are slowly being destroyed. The one we have no power over; the other we do, but we just don't care.

PS at least Willis and myself have reached out to whoever we could find from there and tries to get pics but it hasn't happened. Anyone else care to try? Especially valuable would be pictures from the old logging camp. Their last spring house almost still stands, but surely not for too much longer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smile Really getting off topic

If it wasn't so late, I'd split the thread in two. However, it IS late. For those interested, most of the info I've received about Campfire Inc.'s Camp Takahano is I'm on the Regional Group's FB friend list and would be delighted if someone else would like to give info gathering a whirl (perhaps a Campfire Alumnus/a). I can provide contact info.