Thread: Comcast power play?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wtf Comcast power play?

Did Comcast cut off anyone else's HD channels recently?

When I called they said we should never have been getting those channels and to add them back would be another $10/mo. But logging in online I see our Digital Starter package contains all the HD channels. Now I'm confused, and unsure how to deal with these people.

Thanks

<sarcastic font on> Consider adding the $10 package and sending them $15 as a thanks for screwing you might help teach them a lesson <sarcastic font off :->

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    When I called they said we should never have been getting those channels and to add them back would be another $10/mo. But logging in online I see our Digital Starter package contains all the HD channels. Now I'm confused, and unsure how to deal with these people.
    It sounds like someone made a mistake. I would call back and ask to speak with a rep in customer retention, outline the situation and tell them you're fed up with this kind of crap. Then, sit back and see what happens...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've been researching online and the deal seems real - they really do downgrade the channels, then charge you $10 more to give you the original HD. What a rip! But I guess that's what monopolies are for. I understand that I can play hardball with the retention department. But to attempt it I first need permission from the wife because it's quite possible we really will get disconnected for a while.

Oddly, all the clear QAM channels are still present. So we still have HD, but with no working channel guide. It may be worth $10/mo to have that guide.

BTW, while researching this I have also read that some people seem to be able to get satellite just fine despite trees. Although many lackadaisical overworked installers will drive past and declare "trees are in the way - no service for you", self-installed dishes and more conscientious installers seems to get it working just fine. But I don't think they sell self-install kits any longer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I've been researching online and the deal seems real - they really do downgrade the channels, then charge you $10 more to give you the original HD.
    Out of curiosity, what channels did you lose, all the HD ones?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes. Basically everything above 100 - all the 200's and the duplicate 800's now show a message that we need to upgrade to watch them. My entire favorites list is now dead via that box, except for the weather radars and TVLand.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

FYI - For no apparent reason the HD channels all came back on last night. By then I had already gone to great lengths to set up a Favorites list on the TV. The quality is better through the TV, but because there is no channel guide it's very difficult to use.

Thanks

well atleast your ready 4 next time Tony!!

Thanks

I've had the problem twice in the past. Each time it was something with the signal going to the house. If you play the game right, you can get the automated message to send a refresher signal to your box, which knocks out everything temporarily. After 20 minutes and a hard unplug from the wall, all the channels including HD return. I had the same problem in an old apartment, so being able to do this without talking to a rep is great. The guide comes back as well after a while.