Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Campaign signage gone way overboard

Thanks

Default Campaign signage gone way overboard

Anybody else seen the tower of campaign signs on 9 in Hillsboro? It's gotta be at least 10 feet high -- so tall they had to brace it up. There's no way that thing is legal, is there?
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams

2. 3V-Training
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,677 Posts
    Blog Entries

Snap a pic of the enormosign, Kensey. It sounds like signs that were once the signature structures of and placed by an icon of Mountain politics in years past.
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

Thanks

I was wondering when we'd hear from the S&B sign police. I was starting to think maybe Kensey had moved away.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hillsboro, or by blue ridge elementary? Hillsboro has what appears to be the beginnings of an all-out neighborhood brawl, and the trailer park across from the school has the leaning tower of no peace-a...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensey View Post
    Life's rough. Buy a helmet."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chutney Daftcraft For This Useful Post:

KatherineA (10-19-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I too vote for a picture. Right now the whole thing is left to my imagination. Is it just two 4X6's nailed together. or a real tower?

Like most voters I tend to vote for whoever has the biggest signs so I really need to know!

Thanks

Look across the street from the Blue Ridge Elementary school. Someone's got money!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I admit is dark on days I go through. Hillsboro. BUT I looked and don't see a sign tower there. Only in Manning's across from the school there is a .monster sign. That sign is as stupid as the ridiculous call I got Thurs about why to vote for Elliot Simon. Talk about misrepresentation in a campaign. Simon should be embarrassed about that robot call
    ďI know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights. "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories"Ē by Dr. Seuss

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KatherineA For This Useful Post:

charliepff (10-21-2012)

Thanks

Katherine,

I do not remember seeing a tower of signs in Hillsboro either. I am surprised none of the neighbors there have not been in a fist fight yet though.

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks

thiuwp.....
    --Greg

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It is across from BR elem. people
    "Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.."- Benjamin Franklin..American Statesman..1880

Thanks

Please let's not for forget are 1st Amendment right to free speech and that would include political signís. Go ahead and call me out on this. There has been many cases where this has gone to court and the Supreme Court too. Donít we have a beautiful country. The property across BR school is private property. But of course there people out there that donít have the same political views as others. I have noticed that most of these are Democrats that complain the most about this signage and anything else that's not apart of their agenda.
    Last edited by Jerome; 10-22-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No one is complaining about the sign or who it supports - the fact that it is large and way overboard - is simply a fact that was pointed out in the topic and that is the topic not who it supports. And at least this time, a sign that is too large is on private property not the public right of way. Because it is on private property and if the owner wants a absurdly large sign I've got no problem with that.

I did go off topic a bit with the stupid robo call I got advocating for that Simon guy, which has nothing to do with the signage.

Thanks

Oops, I said Hillsboro and of course meant Mannings. Clearly even with that location error it's distinctive enough that people knew what I was talking about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Please let's not for forget are 1st Amendment right to free speech and that would include political signís. Go ahead and call me out on this. There has been many cases where this has gone to court and the Supreme Court too.
    Freedom of speech is not absolute and never has been -- for example it's not legal to "electioneer" within a certain distance of the polls on election day in most places. This restriction on one freedom protects us from people who would interfere with the sanctity of the ballot box. Likewise the location and kind of signage can be restricted for good reasons, and again many states and localities do so to keep them from being a hazard to traffic, which this one sure looks like. It doesn't look very sturdily built and if it blew over in a high wind, could end up in the travel lanes.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kensey For This Useful Post:

KatherineA (10-22-2012)

Thanks

Signage is a great way to make people hate you without having to know you... its almost as effective as having a sports team sticker on your car while driving or parking through hostile states or cities :-)

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LFE For This Useful Post:

charliepff (10-23-2012), KatherineA (10-22-2012), Wife v3.0 (10-26-2012)

Thanks

I'm glad Ashbaugh constructed the sign tower. Now I know who is earning the old crazy guy vote. I'll admit it isn't up to his normal standards though. I mean, NO F-bombs? No Hitler imagery?

Thanks

Gross

The sign is 20 feet tall. It has 5 4 X 8 pieces of plywood stack long edges together. Do the math 5X4=20. I"m just waiting for a high wind and it blowing into someone's car. Can we think lawsuit? If on the jury I would fine for the driver.
    Last edited by catsmom; 10-22-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks

If the signage was full of Democratic canidates would it still be an issue? No, it would be called creative!! I don't think it going to blow into the road loo at the way it is positioned.

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    If the signage was full of Democratic canidates would it still be an issue? No, it would be called creative!! I don't think it going to blow into the road loo at the way it is positioned.
    People who are complaining about politics who are complaining about people who are complaining about politics....is that not classic?
    Last edited by longleaf; 10-23-2012 at 01:24 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to longleaf For This Useful Post:

Chutney Daftcraft (10-24-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Most Democrats are not dumb enough to put up signs that just irritate people instead of encouraging their vote.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to KatherineA For This Useful Post:

catsmom (10-23-2012)