Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rt 9 Shenandoah River Bridge-Status?

Shannondale: Red Bird Lane, downhill from Gate One
    Thanks

Crybaby New Rt 9 Shenandoah River Bridge-Status?

When will it open?

Curt

2. Mountain Lake Club
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I hope it never does. It will be a cluster at the VA line with a couple of stop signs and trying to make a left on old 9 from the VA side against traffic coming up that huge hill at full throttle.

However, I "heard" somewhere, sometime, I think, it is supposed to be next year or early this year. They were working at the VA line yesterday.

Here is a link to an article in the Herald Mail - from March 2012

They expect to complete it at the end of this year. http://your4state.com/fulltext?nxd_id=244922

No word on how the heck they expect to keep it clear of snow and ice . . . .

"The Department of Transportation says the project is on schedule and on budget, to be finished by the end of the year.

"It has allowed traffic to move a little freer and gotten rid of some of that congestion as we continue to see that part of the state grow," says Walker. "So it was a necessary project, it was a great road project and we're just anxious to complete it this fall."
    Last edited by KatherineA; 10-23-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights. "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss

Thanks

I heard next month and here is a copy and link to the article: http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...-to-open-Nov-1 Upgraded W.Va. Route 9 segment to open Nov. 1

October 15, 2012 @ 10:12 AM
    The Associated Press
    Herald-Dispatch.com
    CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. (AP) A new four-lane segment of W.Va. Route 9 in Jefferson County is scheduled to open next month.
    The segment runs about 5 miles from U.S. 340 near Charles Town to the Virginia border.
    The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown, Md., says the segment is scheduled to open Nov. 1.
    The project is part of an upgrade of Route 9 in the Eastern Panhandle. The original two-lane route was built in the 1930s.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 675 Posts

Where is the bike path?
    Will it open with a parade?
    Did they create space for base jumpers?
    How come no one built a zip line across it yet?

Over all I think it will help traffic problems, unless of course large groups of folks plan social media events designed to screw things up by driving in meaningless loops around the convergance points... hint hint to all the progress haters out there :-)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What are they planning on doing to prevent this?????

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...cle-crash-list

Can't the government step in and pay to have the deer moved away from the roads, repair our cars and haul off the dead bodies too? What about a study to determine how Hawaii achieves such low, low deer-to-car ratios?
    *** Video Page at http://vimeo.com/chipgallo ***

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineA View Post
    I hope it never does. It will be a cluster at the VA line with a couple of stop signs and trying to make a left on old 9 from the VA side against traffic coming up that huge hill at full throttle.
    I'm not sure the left on to 115(aka the old 9) will be any worse than making the left on to the 340/9 bypass heading westbound on 9 currently. I don't think there is going to be a sudden increase in volume and that intersection seems to be mostly functional. It looks like there will be a turn lane at least and only against one lane of traffic as it appears from the design map that the traffic has already been merged into one lane going eastbound. Also I don't believe that there is stop signs for the traffic going east/west on new route 9. *shrug*

At least getting the folks on their way to the racino off of the curves in the Mannings should be an improvement anyways.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wow, just a little over a week until it opens . . . . . I can't hardly wait (sacrasm font on). I am an unbeliever with the ease you see with the new left turn lane . . . . we'll see how it goes.

still not trying that first downhill on the new 9 on an icey day very soon if ever.

As for bike paths, it was my understanding that the bike path would be extended from where it ends now near Ranson and will end at the new giant bridge. I guess bikers can throw themselves and their bikes down on the dam and rocks and float back . . . otherwise turn around and ride back.

My husband and I use the bike path from Ranson to usually Short Road?? We go to the exit beyond the Rt 430 exit on the bike trail. it is nice, a little hilly, too hilly for me past that exit to then ride back to Ranson. It is nice when it is not super hot, not so much when the temp. is over 80 or so, because it has NO shade. It also a nice option when the canal tow path is wet and muddy. So, I hope the new section does extend that path at least for part of the road.

I do wonder also who will be the first to try a bungee jump and how it will turn out on that bridge.
    Last edited by KatherineA; 10-23-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Blog Entries

For recent arrivals and those who have been asleep at the switch, there is a lengthy article HERE that discusses the pros and cons of the project. It also includes prognostications ranging from, "It will be God's gift to man" to "It will be a failure of historical proportions".
    See an artist's conception of the alignment at Keyes Gap below
    click the pic for a closer view
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willis For This Useful Post:

KatherineA (10-24-2012), ministerswife (10-27-2012), PaulEspinosa (10-24-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chipgallo View Post
    Can't the government step in and pay to have the deer moved away from the roads, repair our cars and haul off the dead bodies too?
    Not a problem... just push or chuckem all off the bridge and let the BRWC clean it up later :-)

Thanks

It will hopefully give us less traffic turning from Mission onto 9 especially during rush hour.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LFE View Post
    Not a problem... just push or chuckem all off the bridge and let the BRWC clean it up later :-)
    I like it! I'll vote for you!

Thanks

My biggest fear is that the dept of highways will only clear snow and ice from the new highway and skip old route 9 down the hill to hostler and around the curves in mannings near blue ridge elementary. I guess they are really opening it. I hears that the HS bands are scheduled to be at the opening ceremonies.
    Shannondale_Dweller

Thanks

They seem to do a pretty good job clearing snow and ice from at least the bus routes, something I always consider when looking at properties, something always worth keeping in mind if you have to get somewhere in bad weather. They were removing some of the concrete dividers on 9 down by exit 115 today :-) Sorry Willis, I was on my bike and enjoying the ride to much to stop and take pics...

Thanks

From observation of the map posted by Willis on 10/23/12, there’s still a big bottleneck; or am I missing something.
    "Set me free" "There are two freedoms: The false where a man is free to do what he likes; and the true where a man is free to do what he ought." -Charles Kingsley

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ministerswife View Post
    From observation of the map posted by Willis on 10/23/12, there’s still a big bottleneck; or am I missing something.
    Nope. I totally agree - it will be a nightmare. If anything, it needs a light there, but then you would have big trucks on a slope having to stop at the light.

Thanks

I think the main problem is that they are not taking the road all the way over to rt 7 like they should.
    Because of Chestnut hill road, if left hand turn lanes are backed up you should be able to drive around in some circles allowing you to make rights to get on/off all main intersections. Moving the bottle neck from the end of Mission up to the new/old Rt 9's should not be that terrible since it would not make much sense for someone to make a right at the end of mission to make a left on the new 9 in order to head into CT... it will still be faster for you to make a left at the end of mission, thus reducing the amount of traffic at 9 and 9...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LFE For This Useful Post:

charliepff (10-28-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Blog Entries

Official W.Va. 9 set to open Nov. 2

With Delta-Rahmen Bridge complete,
    W.Va. 9 set to open Nov. 2
    By Michelle Horst - Journal staff writer

CHARLES TOWN The final piece of the puzzle to W.Va. 9 will come to completion as the stretch from Charles Town to the Virginia state line opens Nov. 2. The project will replace the existing two-lane roadway with a four-lane highway.

The Division of Highways reported that during a 20-year period from 1992-2012, traffic over this section of W.Va. 9 increased from 10,500 to more than 22,000 vehicles on a daily basis.

The West Virginia Division of Highways estimated the project to cost approximately $153 million, a cost that is higher than the previous sections of W.Va. 9, due to the need for a bridge to be constructed over the Shenandoah River to Virginia....

See the full article HERE

Thanks

Having commuted to work extensively through that area, I have never supported this project. This will not bode well for this area. After I am elected, I welcome your input into how we may improve upon the aftermath of this decision. I won't have direct jurisdiction over it, but I will have a voice. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LFE View Post
    How come no one built a zip line across it yet?
    I have my zip line. Didn't you get your notice??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    After I am elected...
    My, we're confident.

I welcome your input into how we may improve upon the aftermath of this decision. I won't have direct jurisdiction over it, but I will have a voice. Thanks.
    The first thing that occurs to me is that the existing roadbed from what will be 115 to 9 headed into VA shouldn't be demolished! That in itself would help make the four-way intersection less congested. Why they are going to the effort to make things worse is beyond me.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams