Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rt 9 Shenandoah River Bridge-Status?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Having commuted to work extensively through that area, I have never supported this project. This will not bode well for this area.
    So what are the negitive impacts from this and what did you vote for as an alternative?

2. Bloomery Plantation Distillery
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LFE View Post
    Where is the bike path?
    Will it open with a parade?
    Did they create space for base jumpers?
    How come no one built a zip line across it yet?

Over all I think it will help traffic problems, unless of course large groups of folks plan social media events designed to screw things up by driving in meaningless loops around the convergance points... hint hint to all the progress haters out there :-)
    Forget the bungee and base jumpers I wonder how long it'll be before some idiot tries to kill himself by jumping off the bridge. Maybe Willis can do a S&B contest predicting the first suicide? (That'd be more interesting than predicting the first snow.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigTom For This Useful Post:

Ricky (11-03-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigTom View Post
    I wonder how long it'll be before some idiot tries to kill himself by jumping off the bridge
    I'll go with 11-12-13 at 14:15hrs with it also being the first massive FaceBook organized social suicide (death will result from everyone walking off the bridge while trying to read and post to FB while walking instead of paying attention to where they are really going :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LFE For This Useful Post:

charliepff (10-30-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fyi Tropical Storm Sandy Delays Ribbon Cutting

Weather delays opening of new section of W.Va. 9
    By MATTHEW UMSTEAD Herald Mail
    CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. — Friday’s planned opening of the new four-lane route for W.Va. 9 from Charles Town to the Virginia state line has been canceled due to this week’s storm, state highways officials announced Wednesday.

Depending on weather conditions, the highway might not open to motorists for another a week to 10 days or more, according to West Virginia State Department of Transportation spokesman Brent Walker.

Concrete still must be poured for the median barrier and that work is “very weather dependent,” according to Walker....
    Herald Article HERE
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Willis For This Useful Post:

LFE (11-01-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fyi In the Journal 11/1/2012

W.Va. 9 opening delayed
    By Michelle Horst - Journal Staff Writer
    ..."When you pour median wall, you're at the mercy of the weather and temperature. We were charging hard, but the Friday opening was going to be pushing it close anyway," Walker said.

Estimations range from one to two weeks for the delayed opening. The project had been originally predicted to have been finished in October....
    FULL ARTICLE

Thanks

They're still paving the last section at the top. Hopefully that part is temporary. Looks to be quite a steep transition from the old road to new. Also... that looks to be one long, steep stretch of road. Should be 'fun' in the winter.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by millers1 View Post
    Also... that looks to be one long, steep stretch of road. Should be 'fun' in the winter.
    I got 2 rail sleds waxed and ready to go...
    - WV bob sled training course???? Bet we could beat the Jamicans mon...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LFE View Post
    I got 2 rail sleds waxed and ready to go...
    that sounds fun!!

Thanks

The slope appears to be none more than the slope on the "old route 9" that goes from Blue Ridge Elementary to just below Mission Road. The speed limit is 55mph on that stretch, and it will be 55mph on the new stretch.
    If you do not know if I am joking or just being an asshole. Assume both.

Thanks

Looks like they are doing the last of the paving near the border today, they've got a flagman out there as well with traffic going single laned when I went through a bit earlier.

Thanks

Oh Geez! Here comes the cluster party!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

During the rush hours in the days subsequent to the opening, I'm sure our readers will want some first hand reports of how well or how bad drivers' experiences unfolded. I realize it may be dark, but I'll ask again that folks use cell phone cameras to capture some digital images (safely, of course ). If for some reason you haven't figured out how to post pics, send the files to ME and I'll post them in your stead.
    It should be an interesting Winter.

Thanks

Which road will have the right away, the new route 9 or the old route 9? Looking at a map it would appear the new route 9 will eventually have the right away for it is the more direct route.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dhyana View Post
    Which road will have the right away, the new route 9 or the old route 9?
    The newly constructed road and bridge are to be designated a primary route and will have priority over old rt 9 (which is soon to be secondary road Rt 115). There will be a stop sign on Old Rt 9 as well as one on Chestnut Hill Rd. Worse, the new road, as has been mentioned before, is sure to receive priority snow removal and bump "Rt 115" down on the list. (gosh knows where Mission Rd. be on that list).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Willis For This Useful Post:

ministerswife (11-10-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    The newly constructed road and bridge are to be designated a primary route and will have priority over old rt 9 (which is soon to be secondary road Rt 115). There will be a stop sign on Old Rt 9 as well as one on Chestnut Hill Rd. Worse, the new road, as has been mentioned before, is sure to receive priority snow removal and bump "Rt 115" down on the list. (gosh knows where Mission Rd. be on that list).
    We can pretty much figure that out where on that list, yes?
    "Set me free" "There are two freedoms: The false where a man is free to do what he likes; and the true where a man is free to do what he ought." -Charles Kingsley

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Let's not forget that in fact snow removal was a separate part of the budgeting for the new bridge. IOW, they have a ton of new money to keep the bridge clear, over and above what's been spent on 9/5 in past years. We are not sharing the funds.

How that will work out in the Real World is unclear to me. Maybe the DOH will be able to buy one new truck to just cover the bridge.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Useful Post:

androsyn (11-11-2012)

Thanks

The "Spirit of Jefferson" just announced on Facebook "The new W.Va. 9 bridge will open Wednesday. A ceremony marking the opening will be held at 11 a.m." There are no other details as to location of ceremony.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mkvance View Post
    The "Spirit of Jefferson" just announced on Facebook "The new W.Va. 9 bridge will open Wednesday. A ceremony marking the opening will be held at 11 a.m." There are no other details as to location of ceremony.
    It sure would be dandy if one of our users could attend a take some pics to post here. I don't believe I'll be able to be there. Besides, some one surely can take better shots than I.

Thanks

Looks like the Herald Mail has more details: http://www.herald-mail.com/news/tris...,4600932.story

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Great news, at least for us Maryland commuters. Should be lots less traffic on ummm... what we used to call Route 9, but as of Wednesday must learn to call ???. Have they changed the signs yet?

Despite the nice article, there's no word at all about where this ceremony may be held. Or when we'll actually be able to drive over the new bridge (presumably prior to the ceremony).