Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack Ads against Maxey

Thanks

Default Attack Ads against Maxey

Just a heads up to my friends on the mountain – an attack ad was mailed out today that blames me for a vote in the WV Legislature that would have increased DMV fees.

I am flattered that the “Eastern Panhandle Freedom Fund” believes that I have magical retroactive voting powers. And that they are worried enough about the threat my election is to whoever they represent that they are willing to spend thousands on this sort of thing.

But I have to point out that I am not in the Legislature and so have never supported this legislation. A few seconds of research on the web turned up the fact that the bill they are talking about was vetoed by by Governor Tomblin, a Democrat, in March 2011.

Following is a link to the Charleston Daily Mail article with more detailed information about it:

Our people are hurting and our unemployment rates are still too high," Tomblin said in a statement accompanying the veto. "Although we are seeing economic growth, we are coming out of one of the worst recessions in the history of our country.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

ministerswife (10-30-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wow. What desperate sad people those Eastern Panhandle Freedom Fund folks.
    Thanks for the info John.
    I always thought you had powers, but retroactive voting powers?? Wow! that is awesome!
    I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights. "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineA View Post
    I always thought you had powers, but retroactive voting powers?? Wow! that is awesome!
    I too, was impressed by this. I'm not yet sure how far back the power goes - but is there anything that you want me to go back in time to vote for or against?

The "Orphan Roads Act" that prohibits improvements to roads in Shannondale is one I'd like to try.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you could include all the roads off Mision Rd in the Orphan's Road Act retro legislative power thing you have that would be great. My road is not maintained by the state (or what is supposed to be J.B. Farm's HOA). If you could include J.B. Farm in the Orphan Roads Act that would make my day! Hopefully, your powers extend to rewriting past legislation, and not just voting on it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KatherineA For This Useful Post:

John (10-25-2012)

Thanks

Here's some info on the folks who seem to think John is able time travel.

http://apps.sos.wv.gov/elections/pac...c.aspx?id=1229
    \"Some people march to a different drummer. Why do I keep hearing orchestras?\"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott T For This Useful Post:

chipgallo (10-25-2012), Euler (10-25-2012)

Thanks

Scroll down to the earlier filings for who contributed to this group.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott T For This Useful Post:

jim surkamp (10-25-2012), KatherineA (10-25-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T View Post
    Scroll down to the earlier filings for who contributed to this group.
    Wow, fascinating who contributed thousands . . .. particularly one individual.

Thanks

Katherine - did you get one in your mailbox?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sheesh, I just clicked on the earliest .pdf (from way back in 2011) and saw two Blue Ridge Mountain candidates' names as backers-I would hope that they would disavow such scurrilous tactics. Gosh knows what names are lurking on more recent statements
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    Katherine - did you get one in your mailbox?
    I don't know. I usually just put that stuff in the recycle bin on my way into the house. I also have a pile of mail in my car I haven't really looked at. What day did this get mailed to others?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    Sheesh, I just clicked on the earliest .pdf (from way back in 2011) and saw two Blue Ridge Mountain candidates' names as backers-I would hope that they would disavow such scurrilous tactics. Gosh knows what names are lurking on more recent statements
    I was wondering if the donors had any say over what is sent out or it is up to the discretion of current officers. And yeah, I was surprised that Patrick person donated so often and so much. Keep looking at those early statements Willis.

Thanks

Maybe Patrick Morrisey could weight in on this propaganda and libel. Huntington News article of 9-19-11 gives credit to him for starting the Eastern Panhandle Freedom Fund.

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/9692
    L.S.G's

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'd like to see a copy of it before I discuss it. If I got one I didn't see it.

Thanks

The attack mailings went to all of the valley precincts but not yet to our side of the mountain. Maybe they figure voter turnout here isn't high enough to justify the expense.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

KatherineA (10-26-2012)

High Crime area on the crowded Blue Ridge.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineA View Post
    donated so often and so much
    How do I donate to this worthy cause?
    " We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." -Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte Man View Post
    How do I donate to this worthy cause?
    Just click on the links provided and look at the most recent form. It will have the name and address of the organization.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Further Information via Charleston Daily Mail

Fund co-founded by candidate issues attack ads
    by Ry Rivard
    Daily Mail Capitol Reporter
    A group co-founded by Republican attorney general candidate Patrick Morrisey is trying to defeat Democrat legislative candidates in the Eastern Panhandle - and Democrats there are not happy.

Morrisey and Republican state Senate candidate Jim Ruland, neighbors in Harpers Ferry, started the Eastern Panhandle Freedom Fund last summer.

There's no indication they've been involved since last year. Morrisey, who held no official title on paper, and Ruland, who was the group's treasurer, moved to distance themselves from the group earlier this year when they both filed to run for public office.

But the Freedom Fund's start shows how Morrisey used his own money and his out-of-state connections to help Republican causes before he filed to run for attorney general in January.

Ruland's personal accountant, Robert Smith, took over as treasurer of the Freedom Fund and remained bookkeeper until several weeks ago....
    Read the full article HERE

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The article at least gives a quote. If they used the same wording for Maxey then they really didn't say he voted for anything. Which is why I always hesitate to debate a point based on hearsay. However, I agree with Skinner that this is misleading, though I imagine not to any informed person.
    "We need to tell Stephen Skinner we've had enough of these harmful votes!" the version that targets Skinner says.

Thanks

For the record, I separated from the EPFF earlier this year and made it clear that I would have no involvement after I filed for office. Just want folks to be armed with the facts, as I had no knowledge of these mailings. People saying anything different are being dishonest and are simply trying to harm my campaign. I have now seen the first ad, and it's not how I do things. As many people know, when I disagree with someone, I use facts with citations. Thanks.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Patrick For This Useful Post:

BigTom (10-26-2012), chipgallo (10-26-2012), KatherineA (10-26-2012), Neophyte Man (11-06-2012), Willis (10-26-2012)