Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Megastorm aka "Frankenstorm" October 2012

Thanks

Official Megastorm aka "Frankenstorm" October 2012

http://wtop.com/884/3092498/Mega-sto...ing-snow-to-DC

This could get interesting!

"And with some trees still leafy and the potential for snow, power outages could last to Election Day, some meteorologists fear. They say it has all the earmarks of a billion-dollar storm."

"NOAA's Cisco said he could see the equivalent of several inches of snow or rain in the mid-Atlantic, depending on where the storm ends up. In the mountains, snow may be measured in feet instead of inches."
    Wear your seatbelts! They will save your life.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I changed the oil in the genny last week and flushed the old gasoline out. Chipster needs his power.
    *** Video Page at http://vimeo.com/chipgallo ***

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chipgallo For This Useful Post:

charliepff (10-25-2012)

Thanks

I'm not in the mood for any power outages.

Thanks

Bring it on... I just had my propane tank filled today :-)
    - I would of course be happier if I did not have to use it all due to lack of power....

On a positive note, it looks like the power company is planning ahead for some sort of bad storm... Anyone else notice the new concrete pads by the high tension lines in the fields off 9? Talk about planning ahead!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LFE For This Useful Post:

charliepff (10-25-2012)

Thanks

I certainly hope that the power company is planning ahead and having crews on standby.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lvethemtn View Post
    I certainly hope that the power company is planning ahead and having crews on standby.
    Blue Ridge resident Jami Hadden filed a formal complaint with the power company after multiple outages last Spring and early summer. A statement filed by the Engineering Division of the state Public Service Commission in response states that the Mt Mission Circuit is "in the worst 5% performing category for the Company and is predicted to be the worst performing sector in 2013".

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Another way to be prepared is to clear the house and street gutters of leaves and make sure the culverts are clear. Also get rid of overhanging branches that may drop from ice loading. This past week we finally got rid of the debris from *last* October's weather event.

Thanks

I just removed the grate to my culvert pipe and removed a bunch of leaves. I will run the generator later. Hopefully we do not need them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Blue Ridge resident Jami Hadden filed a formal complaint with the power company after multiple outages last Spring and early summer. A statement filed by the Engineering Division of the state Public Service Commission in response states that the Mt Mission Circuit is "in the worst 5% performing category for the Company and is predicted to be the worst performing sector in 2013
    So is anything being done about this or was simply stating this fact their only response?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The DC media are certainly hyping this one, apparently only based on a single possible track estimate; the other dozen estimates show it landing, if at all, far enough north not to affect us at all. I suppose I can't blame them because all that fancy equipment they have these days requires them to make money when they can, and that ain't during good weather.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) has support for your mobile devices here:

https://www.fema.gov/mobile

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chipgallo For This Useful Post:

Lvethemtn (10-26-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The DC media are certainly hyping this one, apparently only based on a single possible track estimate; the other dozen estimates show it landing, if at all, far enough north not to affect us at all. I suppose I can't blame them because all that fancy equipment they have these days requires them to make money when they can, and that ain't during good weather.
    As of this morning it has a 90% chance of hitting along the east coast of the US. The only question now is where?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,299 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fyi

JEFFERSON COUNTY GEARING UP FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF
    HURRICANE SANDY

This week has been surrounded with estimates from the National Weather Service, the National Hurricane Prediction Center, Emergency Managers, and residents alike as to what Hurricane Sandy may or may not do as we progress into early next week.
    “I cannot tell you what Hurricane Sandy will do at this point,” said Barbara Miller, Jefferson County Homeland Security and Emergency Management’s (JCHSEM) Director, “But I can tell you that I will take advantage of this storm system to ask our residents to get prepared for this storm and the winter ahead. Preparedness includes preparing your family, your pets, your home, and your vehicles to take on the winter months ahead.”

Every family should have enough food, water, and supplies on hand for themselves and their pets for at least a week. Food in your family disaster supply kit should be non-perishable items that need neither cooking or refrigeration in case the power goes out.
    Additional items for a basic disaster kit includes:

• Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
    • Flashlight and extra batteries
    • First aid kit
    • Whistle to signal for help
    • Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
    • Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
    • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
    • Manual can opener for food
    • Local maps
    • Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
    • Fill your vehicle’s gas tank prior to the storm.

Every family should also have a family disaster plan of how they will communicate during disasters and what they will do or where they will go if they cannot go to or stay at home. A template to make your family disaster plan can be found on the Jefferson County Homeland Security and Emergency Management Website at:
    http://www.jeffersoncountywv.org
    And, residents need to stay alert and informed of weather conditions in their area. The best way to do that is with a NOAA weather radio. If you have a NOAA weather radio or if you have signed up to get alerts from either the National Weather Service or your favorite weather station on your smartphone or tablet, you will get weather watches, warnings and advisories as soon as they are issued.

The Emergency Alert Station for Jefferson County is WEPM Radio, AM 1340, although JCHSEM sends Emergency Public Information to all local radio stations and to WHAG-TV, the County Government TV Channel (Channel 17), the Jefferson County Schools Channel (Channel 18) and all of the local newspapers. Additionally, we post our emergency public information on our Jefferson County Homeland Security and Emergency Management Facebook Page and our webpage. Some local blogs and websites also receive or repost our information onto their sites. Recently, JCHSEM has added NIXLE to our Emergency Public Information Toolbox. NIXLE is a text messaging alert system. This is new to us and we will be using this during our next Emergency Operations Center (EOC) activation, whenever that occurs. Residents wishing to receive JCHSEM notifications can go to www.nixle.com and set up a free user account with NIXLE to receive notifications, or they can text their zipcode to 888777 to get started.

We are dealing with a very complicated weather system this time. We could be looking at a variety of threats including hurricane remnants, wind, rain, and even a possibility of snow in the higher elevations. As the storm gets closer, the National Weather Service will be able to predict what exactly we will be dealing with. As with all storms, there is a risk of power outages. To report a power outage during a storm, call Potomac Edison/First Energy at 1-888-LIGHTSS, and for all emergencies, call 9-1-1.

Jefferson County Homeland Security and Emergency Management
    28 Industrial Blvd., Suite 101
    Kearneysville, WV 25430
    (304) 724-8914 Phone
    (304) 728-3320 Fax
    (304) 279-8135 Blackberry
    http://www.jeffersoncountywv.org/homeland-security.html
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willis For This Useful Post:

chocolatebyjo (10-26-2012), KatherineA (10-26-2012), Lvethemtn (10-26-2012)

Thanks

A state of emergency has just been declared in Maryland and Virginia ahead of this storm.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/10...ndy-81450.html

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lvethemtn For This Useful Post:

KatherineA (10-26-2012), Willis (10-26-2012)

Thanks

The Saint Andrews Mountain Community Center has contingency plans for use as an emergency shelter if power should shut down on the mountain next week. Several SAMCC board members have volunteered and we have been in touch with both Jefferson County Emergency Management and with the County Health Dept to help coordinate.

The Community Center can be reached by calling 304-885-0195.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

LFE (10-26-2012), Lvethemtn (10-26-2012), rooneymom (10-27-2012), Willis (10-26-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,299 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Several SAMCC board members have volunteered
    BUT,
    there's always room for more help!
    AND
    If this storm lives up to all the hype,
    Be sure to check to see if your neighbors might need help

Thanks

Gas is $3.65 at Sweet springs compared to $3.89 in CT.
    - Might not be a bad idea to fill up on your way home...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I paid $3.65 last night at the Sheetz in Brunswick.

Thanks

Leesburg its 3.45 -- CITGO across the street from McD's -- they accept cash only. All other stations, 3.55.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltman241 View Post
    As of this morning it has a 90% chance of hitting along the east coast of the US. The only question now is where?
    Yes, this evening I see a majority of the "spaghetti tracks" show it turning hard left and hitting the mid-atlantic region. I also read that CNN has banned the term "Frankenstorm" , apparently because it might be a serious one up here, and has already killed 39 people down south.

BTW, it looks like as of today Tropical Storm Tony has petered out, off in the middle of the Atlantic.