Thread: Drowning Death, Shannondale Springs 7/4/2013

Thanks
    Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Drowning Death, Shannondale Springs 7/4/2013

Folks, remember that the Shout Box posts are ephemeral. They are gone forever after 4 days. The shouts from the time of the first inquiry to what was happening but they are kinda out of sequence
    Additionally Shadowplay has some comment about river conditions in our river HERE

7-04, 7:58 pm STR1KER
    also trying airborne rescue outta manassas
    Edit

7-04, 7:57 pm shadowplay
    We put a big sign up about the water danger of that area several years back, after the last drowning there, but someone took it.
    Edit

7-04, 7:56 pm STR1KER
    trying to get a bird from fairfax. MD State police unavail, Eagle1 unavail
    Edit

7-04, 7:55 pm STR1KER
    as long as they have light, they'll search
    Edit

7-04, 7:55 pm STR1KER
    BC dive team is on the way, dogs are on the way, they have 3 rescue boats, 2 kayaks, helicopter left, but they're calling another in
    Edit

7-04, 7:54 pm Jonesy56
    My son just came in from a float trip. Young man drowned in the big hole just up from the ramp.
    Edit

7-04, 7:54 pm STR1KER
    I think DNR's there
    Edit

7-04, 7:33 pm shadowplay
    I have the key, but from what I'm hearing they don't seem to need the gate opened.
    Edit

7-04, 7:31 pm wkaufman
    Is someone in the big lake?
    Edit

7-04, 7:09 pm STR1KER
    http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/3015/web
    Edit
    7-05, 5:12 pm shadowplay
    Yes, WHAG reported a 31y/o male found by divers around 3:15 today.
    Edit

7-05, 4:43 pm Wife v3.0
    Headed in about 20 minutes ago or so and there seemed to be a mass exodus happening...I am going to assume that means he was found???
    Edit

7-05, 1:32 pm LazerFlash
    It always amazes me that it frequently seems to take the loss of life before any official action is taken, whether it be signage, lights, barricades, etc. Sad that someone has to die before the gov't will do anything more than talk about it.
    Edit

7-05, 12:14 pm cindylu
    This incident may be the one that will spur some official action.
    Edit

7-05, 11:28 am shadowplay
    There was no attempt to do anything official, it's state land anyway. FOSS did that as a gesture to promote caution in that very area, shortly after a child drowned there in '08.
    Edit

7-05, 11:16 am cindylu
    shadowplay - I didn't go through the thread but was there any attempt to get a sign sanctioned by county?
    Edit

7-05, 11:01 am shadowplay
    We tried... http://www.shannondale.org/forum/sho...x-News-Release
    Edit

7-05, 10:48 am shadowplay
    cindylu, FOSS was responsible for putting up that sign.
    Edit

7-05, 10:00 am squirrel
    Yes, there was a sheriff's car by the river access entrance, and several cars including a news van (WHAV?) on the road.
    Edit

7-05, 9:37 am Wife v3.0
    Article says they were to resume at 8am....anyone see any commotion?
    Edit

7-05, 6:03 am cindylu
    There was alot of discussion about that sign -- was jeff county responsible for putting up that sign??
    Edit

7-05, 5:02 am Zeke
    article in the journal
    Edit

7-04, 10:46 pm amountz
    Eastern panhandle working fires
    Edit

7-04, 10:37 pm PENNY
    What's EPWF stand for?
    Edit

7-04, 10:11 pm Wife v3.0
    I too have searched for it on local news sites, seems the only other coverage is the EPWF Facebook page! :/
    Edit

7-04, 10:06 pm amountz
    Recovery operations suspended for the night. Will resume in the Am
    Edit

7-04, 9:50 pm LazerFlash
    I don't know why I expected more, but there's nothing about this on any of the local-coverage news sites... Hopfeully WHAG will have some kind of report at 11:00.
    Edit

7-04, 9:33 pm cindylu
    just got home and there is police blocking access. Sorry to hear this.
    Edit

7-04, 9:06 pm Wife v3.0
    Loosing light fast now, Have they found him yet?
    Edit

7-04, 8:25 pm STR1KER
    C. dog has begun the search
    Edit

7-04, 8:24 pm STR1KER
    yup I rem it, and if they took offense, it's not anyone's fault. It was a gender/age/impairment readable and understandable image. No one can say people didn't try to warn.
    Edit

7-04, 8:22 pm shadowplay
    If I remember correctly it was designed so that knowing Engish would not be a requirement to understand the illustrated message, and I think some took offense to that. It was vandalized shortly before disappearing.
    Edit

7-04, 8:17 pm STR1KER
    :/
    Edit

7-04, 8:12 pm shadowplay
    Sadly, it did not make it through its first season, and I hung it way high up a tree with a ladder.
    Edit

7-04, 7:58 pm STR1KER
    I rem that sign, I was wondering if it was still there

7-04, 6:57 pm STR1KER
    Hispanic male, white t-shirt, blue shorts - boats in the water, swift water rescue team, cadaver dog requested. This doesn't sound good.
    Edit

7-04, 6:55 pm STR1KER
    Someone reported drowning??
    Edit

7-04, 6:55 pm STR1KER
    What's goin' on at Shannondale Springs? Lotta scanner traffic, boats goin' out, staging at G2...
    Edit
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

2. Mountain Lake Club
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks

such terrible news , mother nature is a powerful force that demands respect. the family will be in my prayers
    Science is but a form of organized ignorence......what do we know about beyond....
    if I only had a brain I would come in from the rain

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fyi

In the string of shouts, the subject of FOSS' signage was raised. We tried two signs, one in English and one in Spanish. Sadly the Spanish variety was vandalized the day after we installed it.

In an effort to prevent a similar occurrence S&B asked grafxgirl to design a pictogram that was language neutral. It was installed and can be seen below:
    You can read a bit more in the thread linked HERE
    Surprisingly that sign stayed put for couple of months, but then "disappeared".

Thanks

My thoughts and deep sympathy for the the family.

Thanks

So terrible!! Any word on what actually held the poor guy down??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wife v3.0 View Post
    So terrible!! Any word on what actually held the poor guy down??
    I would guess that he fell into a deep drop off not far from the shore and likely encountered a swifter moving current under water. The swifter moving current, at an intermediate depth, likely also kept him underwater once he passed through it. That river is nothing to play around with this year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadowplay View Post
    I would guess that he fell into a deep drop off not far from the shore and likely encountered a swifter moving current under water. The swifter moving current, at an intermediate depth, likely also kept him underwater once he passed through it. That river is nothing to play around with this year.
    I also heard one report that said the fellow was jumping from rock-to-rock and *may* have struck his head going down. The truly head-shaking part of all this is the family indicated that he was a NON-swimmer. I wonder just what persuaded him to wander that far onto in a raging river?

Thanks

Agreed here, nonetheless it's a dangerous river down there now and has been all year. We've had a hard time convincing our 9y/o of that and have kept a tight grip on her this year when we go, and she is on the CT swim team.

Thanks

WHAG interviewed someone I thought was a park ranger who said the guy was fishing and fell from a boat of some sort. Guess we'll have to wait for official word.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by LazerFlash View Post
    ...I wonder just what persuaded him to wander that far onto in a raging river?
    In many, many cases, the river can appear relatively calm and serene while the "raging" current is below the surface waiting to tow you under

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadowplay View Post
    We've had a hard time convincing our 9y/o of that and have kept a tight grip on her this year when we go, and she is on the CT swim team.
    I am a certified WSIT (Water Safety Instructor Trainer), which means that in a former life, I trained people who trained lifeguards. I worked with the folks who ran the Sandy Hook (NJ) Lifeguard Training program back in the late 1970's and used to work out with the lifeguard candidates. I know it will mean little to your 9 year old, but I am still a strong, well-above-average swimmer, even though I am in my fifties; the last few times I was down to the river, I opted to not go in since I didn't bring a life vest with me. I suspect that even a world-class swimmer like Michael Phelps would steer clear of the Shenandoah these days.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LazerFlash For This Useful Post:

Chele (07-06-2013)