Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snake Den?

Thanks

Default Snake Den?

I searched the board and found a couple interesting tid bits, but I thought I would post to see if anyone else has any knowledge on the subject.

I've seen a few snakes (black, copperhead, timber rattle) around my house and surrounding roads and heard a few folks mention rattlesnake dens in the area. After a bit of searching around I've seen mentions of "the largest rattlesnake den in North America" and hear that the Crocodile Hunter has done documentaries on it before? Does anyone know if this is true (first hand knowledge, not wives tales), and if you do, where approximately? I've seen references to Eagles Nest but also heard from word-of-mouth Buzzard's Rock.

2. Mountain Lake Club
    Thanks

Default Re: Snake Den?

I think I know where it is ... its along the AT. Jump on the trail from Eagle's Nest - that trail if you go strait up Shannondale Dr. to the very top. (Most folks know where this is.) Go back 'bout 100 yards to the AT and make a left. Perhaps 45 minutes up you'll find a sort of clearing to the left and then see a bunch of boulders in the clear.

I took my son there many years ago and he jumped out from one boulder to the next til he got near the middle turned around and called 'dad' ... and then a chorus of rattlesnakes sounded off. No mistakin' this sound! Scared the undigested food product out of him ... and me!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Actually, there are several. Up where The Green One has responded is one. The other is at the old "pits" - The place where we all used to go "motocross" riding in the '80s.
    It's at the bottom of Mtn Dew... There's a gate there now, but if you go back past that gate, you'll run face 1st into 'em. Not a place I'd want to go hiking unless it's in the mid of winter.
    "Trust your instincts * Be at home in Nature * Keep your Den clean * Stand fur what you Believe * Stay on Track * Howl with your Friends * Be a Leader * Pack Life with Good Memories!"
    http://www.STR1KER.com
    http://www.Facebook.com/str1ker
    http://www.CygnusRadio.com (Tues. 6-8pm)
    http://www.RockNetWebzine.com (Fri.. 7-11pm)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,762 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd just ask that you remember the Timber Rattlesnake is an endangered species, not a dangerous species, if normal common sense is used when hiking or when one encounters them. The large snake den referenced on the 'net is federally protected and ought to be avoided for both the snakes' and human beans' sakes.

When my family moved here back in the 50's it wasn't uncommon to see a Timber Rattler at the elevation of gates 3&4. We've just about eradicated them down here now.
    Don't CLOWN around! Join us NOW and get involved in YOUR Blue Ridge Mountain Community!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yup, observe and move slowly away. They're quite scary, but also incredibly beautiful. I rem driving up to show my cousin the view from Eagle's Nest, and one was sunbathing in the middle of the road up by Nat's place. OMG he was GORGEOUS, but we just took pics from the car

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STR1KER View Post
    Actually, there are several..... The other is at the old "pits" - The place where we all used to go "motocross" riding in the '80s.
    Yup- I Remember that place well.

It's at the bottom of Mtn Dew... There's a gate there now, but if you go back past that gate, you'll run face 1st into 'em. Not a place I'd want to go hiking unless it's in the mid of winter.
    I used to go running back there in high school. There's trails that run from the bottom of Mtn Dew, past the old gun range and further past the old girl scout camp. Definitely not a place you want to run during the summer but winter/early spring jogs are awesome.
    "BRIAN, Close the window! You're letting all the Stank out...." "Ahh, ahh, ahh and boom goes the dynamite."

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS(It's not nice to pick on retards.)

01/20/2013

Thanks

If I am not mistaken, Buzzard's Rock is the rock that is at the top of the mountain between Neersville and Lovettsville. (Next mountain over)

Thanks

buzzard is just behind sklyline north, high point with rock face.
    rattlesnakes are all over the ridge top! in and around rocks!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by derricksonb View Post
    Yup- I Remember that place well.

I used to go running back there in high school. There's trails that run from the bottom of Mtn Dew, past the old gun range and further past the old girl scout camp. Definitely not a place you want to run during the summer but winter/early spring jogs are awesome.
    I walk back that trail often and in the past 15 years I have only crossed one timber rattler, quite a large one with 15 rattles. But other then that I am not sure its as popular for rattlers as it used to be. But then again who knows.

Thanks

Yea - Buzzards Rocks is on the AT (blue blaze off the main trail) between 9 and eagles nest. AWESOME view of the lake below and the valley, can see all the way past Winchester on clear winter days.

Been there many many times and haven't seen any snakes but I'm always careful and on the lookout constantly. I wasn't aware this was 'the den' folks refer to around here. Although, it makes perfect sense given the landscape. The thing that is of concern to me is there is a small firepit and campsite on top of the pile of rocks, I always thought it would be a great place to camp - not anymore. I don't mind snakes, but I won't be sleeping with them that's for sure. I only go up there and around there in the winter time (mainly because of summertime haze, leaves, poison ivy/oak, snakes, etc.) and I think I'll keep it that way .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,762 Posts
    Blog Entries

Buzzards' View

Take the tour
    HERE

Thanks

I think Jimmy Viands is the name of the trail back there. We used to ride mountain bikes back there to the smaller lake off Mission Rd. during the summers and never saw any snakes, did see a huge snapping turtle once.

I once did have a timber rattler show up in my garage, that was freaky. I coaxed him(?) out a side door with a can of starting fluid. He was not too aggressive, but REALLY acted mean if seriously threatened, glad to have never seen him again.

Thanks

Here are a couple better pictures.

The first you can see the lake below and the river is just out of view to the right and meanders out of view over that first ridge (that's mission mtn correct?). The mtn far off in the distance is south of winchester (strasburg area), can see for many many miles. The other is the campsite I was referring to. Whoever is camping there in non-winter months is far braver than I!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Nice pix .....

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This is Baroo, taken while he was atop of Buzzard's rock. I climbed all the way down to that last protruding rock to get this shot. You can't see it very well, but he's actually smiling.

Here is a link to download the full size pic:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1157/...284129_b_d.jpg

It's flickr, so it's safe to click OK. He appears to be smiling, and it's the most majestic he's ever looked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensey View Post
    Life's rough. Buy a helmet."

Thanks

My dogs love it up there too! But sometimes they do get a little to confident going from ledge to ledge.

Have you seen any inhabitants while up there?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Never, but I'm curious to know if my sunglasses are still up there. That sucked, because that was my favorite pair that I had for years.

I enter the trail on Aerie, make a right, and Buzzards rock is about a half-mile from that point. It's a very easy hike. I have never encountered a snake, and I've done that hike about 8 times now.

Thanks

Kill them!! KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trollibear View Post
    Kill them!! KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!
    please do not kill them!!!! I have seen three.....! near the top

Thanks
    Blog Entries

LMFGDAO TROLLI!!! LOLOL
    (Gotta rem, she was bitten by a copperhead, so I can understand her strong dislike) heheh